Join us for a nature walk on Earth Day, Saturday April 22nd, to celebrate and connect with nature!
- Our property has beautiful trails that are perfect for a family-friendly nature walk. We are excited to offer 2 time slots – one at 10 am and one at 2 pm – so you can choose the time that works best for you.
- Our guide for the day is Ryan McNutt who will lead you through the trails, pointing out interesting plants and wildlife, and teaching you about trail safety, the basics of foraging, and plant identification. Ryan will also share tips on responsible collecting and show you some interactive fun along the way!
- This is a great opportunity to learn about the environment and the importance of protecting it, all while enjoying the beauty of nature with your family. We encourage you to come prepared with comfortable shoes, water, and a sense of curiosity.
HOW TO JOIN:
- Meet Ryan on the SMOC porch at the time slot of your preference. He will be waiting there to join you for each session.
- Wear durable shoes like hiking boots, sneakers, Chacos, Tevas, Keens or sandals made for the outdoors to protect your feet: NO FLIP FLOPS PLEASE.
- Bring water or water bottle to fill up.
- It is rainy season! We love the rain because it creates the lush green plant biodiversity that the Great Smoky Mountains is known for, but we want you to be comfortable. Bring a rain jacket or poncho, or purchase one at SMOC.
- Bring a vessel to collect things along the trail if you would like, and a camera to take pictures.
Join us on this Earth Day for a fun and educational nature walk and celebrate this beautiful planet we call home!
2pm – Meet Ryan on the SMOC porch
2:05pm – Light Introduction and discussion about the 10 essentials of hiking
2:10pm – Begin walk to the property trailhead while Ryan points out surrounding features and tells stories of his hiking adventures
2:15pm – Begin on trail while Ryan discussing responsible collecting, plant life identification basics, and what not to eat on the trails. People will have ample time to take photos and ask questions
2:30pm – Continue nature walk while Ryan discusses basic survival, trail safety
2:45pm – Interactive navigation with map and compass demonstration
3pm – Begin descending with q & a time
3:15pm Arrive back at SMOC where Ryan helps answer questions about gear, supplies, and accessories for the outdoors. Receive your free sticker upon completion!
Sign Up Now!